Tuesday’s fire outbreak at Takoradi in the Western Region was a “very, very sad” one, Effia MP Joseph Cudjoe has stated.
The gas explosion left more than 100 people injured, four of them firemen.
The fire, according to Daniel Dadzie, a local reporter, started at the Ghana Home Utility Manufacturing Company at about 7:45am during a discharge of gas into its tanks.
It spread to an Olam depot next door and then to a total filling station which caused a huge explosion hurting some people and the four fire officers who were battling the blaze at Olam and the Ghana Home Utility Manufacturing Company (GHUMCO).
The injured were sent to GHAPOHA and Effia Nkwanta hospitals for treatment, though some have been treated and discharged.
Mr Cudjoe said there had been one too many gas explosions in the country lately, citing the recent ones at La and Tulaku to buttress his point for which national action was needed to forestall future occurrences.
“I think it’s time to take a look at these things…because hearing this I am very saddened,” he told Chief Jerry Forson on Ghana Yensom on Accra100.5FM on Wednesday May 10, noting that he would be visiting the victims in hospital and tour the sites of the explosion with officials of the National Petroleum Authority (NPA).
“It is very sad news. We are drawing every one’s attention to the fact that whatever we do, we must take precautionary measures so things don’t get out of hand. We must take things seriously,” he added.
According to Mr Cudjoe, who doubles as Deputy Minister of Energy, disregarding the most fundamental warnings often result in accidents and serious injuries hence the need for citizens to mend their attitudes.
“As, as a nation, there is the need for that word ‘safety’ to be broadcast, that whatever you use there are safety measures…” added the lawmaker.