A Ghanaian, Emmanuel Kwesi Quaison has reportedly been killed in the latest xenophobic attacks in Durban, South Africa.

Quaison, according to Starr FM sources in the coastal city of Durban, was killed on Thursday by local gangs accusing foreigners of taking their jobs.

The violence, which broke out in Durban and surrounding townships, has spread to other parts of the country, including the economic capital Johannesburg.

Dozens of foreigners were reported to have sought refuge in a police station outside Johannesburg overnight and foreign-owned shops were said to have been attacked in the city’s Jeppestown area.

Eight people have so far been confirmed dead in the new wave of attacks and foreign-owned shops looted in recent weeks.

At least 62 people died in xenophobic attacks that swept South Africa in 2008.

On Wednesday, Malawi said it would evacuate its nationals from South Africa while Mozambique has set up border camps to cope with the exodus of its citizens.

Ghana is, however, yet to evacuate its citizens who are trapped in the attacks in South Africa.

Meanwhile, thousands of people are marching in South Africa’s coastal city of Durban in a major rally against xenophobia following attacks on foreigners.

Organisers said about 10,000 people are expected to attend the rally.

Load More Related Articles
Load More By Web @ Hand
Load More In General News
Comments are closed.

Check Also

NPP As Centre-right Doesn’t Accept Homosexuality . . . We’re Not Social Democrats – John Boadu

With the regard to concerns that the New Patriotic Party (NPP) appears mute over the anti-…